08 July 2010

You Eat What???

Kevin and I get a lot of raised-eyebrow inquiries and "but-what-about"s and "does-your-doctor-know-you-drink-raw-milk"s when we talk about our philosophy of food and how we eat.

Our philosophy of food is that we eat everything in as close to its natural state as possible. Our beef never ate grain. Our eggs come from free-wheeling local chickens, and they have yolks that are almost orange. Our milk isn't pasteurized, homogenized, skimmed, or labeled with a smiling cow. Our tomatoes are lumpy and tasty, our spices aren't irradiated, our yogurt has fat but not aspartame, our butter is butter.

We believe, with Hippocrates, that food is the first medicine. Right now, I'm treating impending diabetes with diet and supplements, and I can feel it working. What goes into our bodies matters, has a direct effect on our health, our relationships, our society, and the whole world. The violence done to us and the earth by a bag of Doritos is not worth the momentary msg high.

On Monday, I used a bookstore gift certificate that I got for Christmas to buy two books that I now recommend to you. They describe and are written from the perspective of our philosophy of food and would make valuable additions to the library of anyone who cares about these things and wants to learn to eat as nature intended. Cara dear: take note! 8) Andree: thanks!

They are


What to Eat by Marion Nestle

and


The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods by Michael Murray et al.

The first discusses things like what organic means, the difference between farmed and wild fish, bottled water, raw dairy products, rBGH, food processing, whole foods, whole grains, fair trade, country of origin labeling, supermarket layout, food politics, food safety, refining of sugar, infant formula and baby food, marketing food to children, and so on, and so on. The author teaches nutrition at NYU.

The second is a chunker, and it discuses specific foods, their chemical makeups, and the effects that those chemicals have on the body. Fans of the classic Prescription for Nutritional Healing should find it riveting. It's more up-to-date than that work, discussing glycemic index and load, and it has a friendlier, more-nuanced approach to fats.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Buffy said...

I like Marion Nestle. It's funny, though -- she does such a good job of being balanced that I find myself wanting her to be more extreme. :)

Have you taken a look at Nina Planck's Real Food? (there may not actually be a c in her name) On a different note, I really like Mindless Eating by Brian W.

amy frances said...

I find myself feeling the same way about Nestle's reasoning so far. She's really really fair, and I'm like "Dude! Get angry with me! This is horrible!" It makes me feel comfortable recommending the book to anyone though, because her tone is so nonjudgmental and not at all panicked.

I've never read either of those books; I'll look into them. My favorite food writer is Michael Pollan.

Buffy said...

Yes, exactly - that's what makes her such a good person to speak to the middle-of-the-road people. I think it just leaves the choir a bit disenchanted. Which is probably not at all her fault. :)

I, too, like Michael Pollan.

I was just thinking about how I've never actually met you and looking at your little profile pic. It reminds me of the red-haired actress from That 70s Show.

amy frances said...

Well, I've never seen That '70s Show, but I looked it up, and I can kinda see it. I've been told that I look like Olivia Newtown John in Grease, before she sold out to get John Travolta to like her (back in high school when I had bangs). I really have no idea what celebrities I look like.

I'm thinking about doing something like this

http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Funky_Hair_Color_Trends~7

(the red part, with my dark blonde in the background)

or this

http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Funky_Hair_Color_Trends~13

to my hair. So this all may be changing in the near future. I know, the two-tone thing is all very emo. But hey, I'll only be 30 twice.

Buffy said...

Awesome. I've been wanting blue hair for nearly two decades.

amy frances said...

Do it!