We must learn to move beyond ourselves, to set limits on our own needs and somehow to meet other people's needs. We actually need to do this for our own good! That's why Jesus commanded us to love—to get us started. So love is not a feeling, but a decision, yet a decision that increases our inner freedom each time we do it. You will know this only after you act on love.
Jesus didn't say when you get healed, love; when you grow up, love; when you get it together and have dealt with all your wounds, then love. No, the commandment for all of us is quite simply, “Love!” Once we know it is not a feeling, but a grace-empowered decision, we can all do it. And each time it is a growth in freedom—and flow.
St. Bonaventure’s vision of creation could be stated in this way:
God created in such a way that there would be free agents who could freely choose to love God in return, and thus become like God themselves—sharing in the divine perfection. The whole venture proceeds on the basis of our inner freedom to love, but we do not know we have that freedom and power until we, in fact, act on it.—Richard Rohr
8 comments:
I agree completely. I have had to ask God to teach me to love as He loves. Because I am naturally self-oriented and love is intended to be outward I have to learn to let go of my preconceived notions of what love is supposed to feel like. As I learn to love I become less needy and actually more content with what God has given me. For most of my life I have craved to feel loved never realizing that I am loved.
Yes. Inner transformation connected to our actions. Yes. Thanks for that important reminder. It is often unappreciated, or underrated.
Good Stuff, A. Where is it excerpted from?
It's the text of today's Center for Action and Contemplation email. It doesn't give and bibliographic info (like usual), so I think Richard Rohr just wrote it for the email.
Cool. And I don't think I told you how honored I feel to be listed on your blog roll.
Yes. I agree with Buffy. It is an honor to be on your blog roll. Thank you.
And to honor you both is exactly what I want, what you deserve, I think.
Jon, have you ever been to Turkey Run State Park? I just spent the day hiking there. It was so beautiful!
Thank you. I needed this. xo
Post a Comment