The Holy One speaks all languages. One of her most intelligible, in my life, has been birds.When I was 16, I went to Ocean City, Maryland, with my foster family. It was a trying time for me, because I didn't fit in particularly well with this group of people, and they were brazen and chronic in reminding me of my outsider status: when the rest of the family ate steak, I had spaghetti, that sort of thing. My personality is of the sort that I need to know that I am special, wanted; feeling mediocre or insignificant or unwelcome is unbearable to me. Well, two weeks in a recreational vehicle with five of them was a perfect nightmare.
On the last day of the trip, I was feeling rather low, and I decided to walk down to the bay to hide out for a while. Even as a child, an undisturbed natural landscape was a balm to almost any of my aches. This bay had a small, deserted beach where sand dollars and hermit crabs washed ashore with every wave, tall grasses and cat tails pulsed and quivered in the salted Atlantic wind, and the rhythmic whisper of the water drowned the din of the consumer wasteland and coastal highway. It faded into marshland on one side. I crouched against a log, feet jammed into the wet sand, weeping and brooding with all the artifice of a dejected adolescent bohemian, when an emissary of the divine swooped over my head and alighted in the marsh: a towering, majestic whooping crane, no more than 50 feet away. I froze, awestruck, and forgot my misery. We sat in stillness together, the crane and me, appraising each other. He preened; I tugged at my stringy hair. He plucked morsels from the water; I chewed my fingernails. He whooped; I whimpered. He watched me, and I watched him, and there we sat in stillness.
As I kept company with the crane, I was struck by my loneness, my separateness. I felt special. How many people keep company with a crane? Certainly not anyone I was with. How many teenagers would cherish such an experience as I did? I felt like the only girl in the world in that half hour. Sure, I ate spaghetti when everyone else had steak, but I kept company with a crane.
The crane never left me. I knew that, eventually, someone would come looking for me, and I knew I needed to keep our secret, the mystery of our rendezvous. So to give sanctuary to my new friend and to defend his sacred haunt, I crept away, and he watched me go.
This is not the only profound experience of company with a bird I've had. You may recall the evening I spent with a community of geese last winter. A few months ago, I was walking in the woods with a friend after a difficult experience, and a hefty blue heron mounted the air above our heads so closely that I could feel the wind of his wings on my face; and I knew that everything would be okay. There have been cardinals and bluebirds, bald eagles and baby robins, hummingbirds and wild turkeys, and birds, and birds, and birds. So many messages have come to me in encounters with birds. When I see birds, I have to watch them. I have to hear them. I'd follow them if I could, anywhere they'd take me.
I may need to take up bird watching in earnest as a means of spiritual seeking. For real.
Pondering.
6 comments:
You know what pleases me about this story? That you knew how to comfort and care for yourself so long ago and that you still have that knowledge.
I like this.
This was beautiful.
Please, please tell me that the steak and speghetti thing was a metaphor and that the family didn't really treat you like that.
I am angry, and I am sad. I know that isn't the point. But I am. I feel like I want to sit in silence now for like an hour and just think about this and let all the sadness and anger out. I don't like that it happened. I don't like that it happend to you. I don't like that it happens to people at all.
But I love that you found solice, comfort and calm in that sort of shit. That is absolutely divine.
I'm sorry, Rachel—I didn't mean to make you sad, and after your happy news, too!
No, it's not a metaphor. They weren't a very welcoming bunch. But, truth be told, they deserve more pity than anger. They had a lot of problems. I could even see that then. I hated them, but I really felt sorry for them too. They took me in because they were trying to fill the void left when a son was killed in a car accident seven years prior, and mom was about 50 cards short of a deck. And if they hadn't been them, I'd have never met Andree, one of my sister's foster mothers, who is one of my dearest friends and the closest thing to a mom that I have, and I'm so grateful for that. She's journeyed through half my life with me. She's the reason I practice yoga and eat a whole-foods diet, and she kept me sane all through high school. See, it has a happy ending!
I read this post awhile back, and it has stuck with me. I think your experience there on the deserted beach was wonderful. Three specific instances in the last few weeks have reminded me of you since you posted this, though I haven't been at the computer much to let you know.
First, the day after I read this, there was a beautiful photo on our newspaper's front page of a bird over the water. Second, a good friend of Rachel's, whom I saw just after Bennett's birth, had a bird necklace and was talking about the strength the image of a black bird gives her. And third, today I saw a set of bowls at the store, each with a single bird on them.
* * *
I too can't believe the spaghetti thing. That is nuts-oid.
Thanks for thinking of me, Lori. It helps one to know people recall one's existence on occasion.
Your family has been in my thoughts and prayers lately as well.
And don't feel too badly about the spaghetti. I like pasta more than steak. Little did they know, ha-ha.
Post a Comment