My struggle is to preserve that abstract flash—like something you caught out of the corner of your eye, but in the picture, you can look at it directly.
I search for the realness, the real feeling of a subject, all the texture around it. ... I always want to see the third dimension of something. ... I want to come alive with the object.
—Andrew Wyeth
24 April 2010
Her Room
Last weekend, Kevin and I spent Saturday afternoon at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art. It was unassuming as art museums go, but it boasted a lovely traveling exhibition of the works of N. C., Andrew, and James Wyeth. I am particularly captivated by Andrew's work; it has a haunted quality, a silent desolation and anguished delicacy that one might expect from a person whose childhood and coming-of-age took place in the first half of the 20th century. The painting below, Her Room, was featured prominently in the gallery's entrance hall. I stared at it for a long time, racked with chills.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love Andrew Wyeth's work. There's a sense of space to them that you don't see much elsewhere. I tried reproducing one of his paintings in my level II painting class... I think it increased my respect for his work more than anything else!
"My struggle is to preserve that abstract flash—like something you caught out of the corner of your eye, but in the picture, you can look at it directly."
Oh my goodness...that's art. That's it right there. The preservation of the flash so we can look at it directly. Of course.
Thanks, Amy. That quote helped me tonight.
Post a Comment