I never make a big deal of celebrating my birthday. I never know how, or what is appropriate, or who would want to celebrate with me, or how to ask them to celebrate with me. I stress about these things for weeks in advance, and most of the time, I don't decide anything until about noon on April 13, and by then, everybody's busy. This year, some specialness worked its way in, if at times a bit haltingly, and it turned into a very fine day.
*I rose at my leisure (so, 6:15 am) and Kevin made me french toast for breakfast.
*I talked to my "mom" (who is a friend whom I wish were my mom) for a few hours (actually on the night before my birthday, but I'm counting it).
*A very kind coworker made me a delicious zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting, and I stood around in the break room debating the pros and cons of embracing aging with several other coworkers. They teased me about my resolve, and I totally let it roll off my back. Go me.
*I had lunch with my friend Sharon, in her office at the garage that she manages. I like to watch her be the boss lady. She's such a kind boss lady. She showed me a beautiful bracelet that she made, but I didn't get to examine it well enough to replicate it. I'll have to go back soon to pilfer her design.
*I went to yoga. This, of course, wasn't birthday-special, but I sure am glad my birthday fell on a yoga night. I love yoga nights.
*My friend Tamie gave me a lovely, thoughtful present! I love presents. It was a perfect present.
*I spontaneously (go me!) invited said friend and her dear fiance, Jon, out to dinner in honor of my existence (go me!). I've mentioned before, have I not, how much I relish meals with friends? Two in one day! Weeeeeee!
*My baby sister sang to me.
*I ignored all unpleasant phone calls and let Kevin delete messages from unpleasant callers.
Here is my goal for next year: I will plan a celebration. I will figure out what to do, I will swallow very hard, and I will ask some people to do it with me. Would any of you be willing to come to the Chicago Art Institute with me for a day? Or a Second City show? Or maybe a multiple-couple overnight in Ann Arbor? It will, after all, be the last 30th birthday that I get. Does somebody want to make me dinner? Or just go for a walk with me? That would be very nice too.
14 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I would love to do ANY of those things with you.
If we find ourselves in Chicago in April (which isn't THAT unlikely as it's where my husband hails from), I will go on a walk with you.
I like how your spent your birthday. Sounds way better than the average birthday.
Dude, next time you're in Chicago, give a holler. Maybe we can all come up to see you. It's only a 3-hour train ride. That would be soooooo cool!
The other places we'll be as well will be Indianapolis (where his dad lives) and Alexandria, IN (where we both have family). Are you near either of those places??
We actually will be making a surprise trip to Indianapolis (to surprise Cam's dad) after the baby is born IF we can afford it and IF the lil' guy seems like he'll travel well.
Holy crap! Indy's really close! (And by "really close," I mean 3 hours, which is really close compared to Portland. It's totally a day trip!
Dude. Let's do lunch.
(Apparently, Alexandria is 2 hours away.)
I'll be 34 on Monday. Hard to know where I'll be by next April!
I'd definitely be up for the Art Institute outing. :-) The retreat in Ann Arbor sounds like fun, too, but would be a lot of work for us and/or a babysitter.
As I said, behind on blog posts! So, catching up.
Hey, you'll have to let us know a while in advance, but if at all possible, we will be there!
You'll be among the first people I tell once I decide, cross my heart. Hmmm, perhaps I should start planning now. Putting on a shindig is not among my talents. It may take me the better part of a year.
Yes.
Post a Comment