31 March 2010

A Symbolically Significant Supper Scenario

Does that alliteration sound forced or corny? I can't decide. It just came to me.

I concocted a triumphant weeknight casserole this evening for supper. I can't tell you proportions, but here's what I did:

I peeled and sliced a few yellow potatoes and a few small carrots and minced half of a large red onion and put them in a greased baking dish. I also threw in about an ear's worth of frozen corn. I salted and peppered that generously. Then I added about a cup (maybe more?) of shredded havarti and Jarlsberg cheeses. I embedded two quartered fresh bratwursts in the top of the cheesy veggie pile (the all-natural kind made by Amish people) and salted again. Then I stirred together about 1/4 cup of arrowroot (it's a substitute for cornstarch) and about 2 1/2 cups of milk and poured it over everything. I baked it at 375ish for about an hour (until it was thickened and all brown on top).

As I happily assembled our dinner, I thought about how I can trace the origin of about 80% of its substance to a kindly farmer who lives no more than 40 miles from me. I was thinking specifically about how glad I was that the pig that became my sausage had never been the property of any conglomerate when

knock knock knock

Odd. No one ever knocks on my door at 5 pm. I dry my hands and go to the door. Standing in my driveway is a rotund, ruddy man in a dirty cap and a thin, white wifebeater.
"Hiya ma'am! I's makin' a delivery in the neighborhood and I thought I'd stop here ta do a little advertisin!"

I glance at his van. It has a silhouetted steer on the side. Uh-oh.

"Y'all them vegetarians, or d'yall eat meat?" I swear I'm not making this up.

"We eat meat that was humanely raised."

"Uh, what now?"

"We eat meat that doesn't come from factory farms. You know, the animals eat what they're supposed to eat, and they're pastured."

"Well, these cows're free range. S'at what that means?"

"If they have free access to pasture and eat nothing but grass for their whole lives, and if they're slaughtered in a low-stress environment, then yes."

He gets this condescending smile on his face and shakes his head a little. "Now ma'am, ya know, all of 'em grain 'em at the end. Fer the marblin'."

"No. They don't."

He chuckles. "Name one."

"Well, we buy our beef from Seven Sons in Roanoke. Call them, and they'll explain to you how to raise cows humanely. Bye."

I went back to the kitchen and continued to ponder my sausage. The man got in his van and drove away.

16 comments:

Buffy said...

super totally awesome, both the food and the doorstep conversation.

we should clearly cook together soon and often...

Maple Black Beans are the next thing on the menu around here. Well, that and oatmeal.

amy frances said...

Clearly. Because I heartily approve of anything involving maple and black beans.

Man. There are sooooo many people I wish had been flies on my walls for those few moments. But really high up on the walls and away from all the furniture, because my cat loves to eat flies, and I'd be so sad if my cat ate my friends. I'd cry for days and days and days.

ASHENFELTERS said...

I love your depiction of his accent!
You are hilarious.:)

tamie marie said...

I cannot believe this happened!!!! And I love your responses! Your responses crack me up more than the man's because...well, because I'm impressed you could just act so nonchalant on the spot! What in the world? Was this man sent by God to get you and Kevin laughing? Actually, I think that's the only sane explanation.

Asheya said...

Talk about situational comedy! Too funny.

Marti said...

That is classic! Of all the doors he could have knocked on he picks someone as educated as you. Poor guy never had a chance. I love the part where he thinks he's either outsmarted you or that he's going to change your mind :-)

Hope you enjoyed supper. Sounds yummy!

amy frances said...

T: That's precisely it. He was a comedic messenger of the divine. Most assuredly.

The thing is, I wouldn't normally make fun of a poor, underinformed soul such as he. And then there was that smile and the head-shake and the "now, ma'am." Like I was five. I bet he calls his wife "little woman." Growl.

Sharon said...

Ditto to what Tammy said.
The other day a lonely man called for an "estimate" but instead talked to me about his health for 15 minutes... bowel movement description was very detailed! I also wished "a fly on the wall" had heard that conversation

Andy said...

I protest, Amy. People who knock at your door should be slaughtered humanely, no matter what their views are.

amy frances said...

Hey now—at no point did I use the phrase you misogynistic numps, nor did I point out that he was in no position to be giving lecturing me on my eating habits. I simply smiled and walked away.

lori said...

I LOVE how he said, "Name one." The best conversations could've happened in either adulthood or elementary school.

Cara said...

ok not the point but your favorite dietitan is sitting here going do you know how much sodium was in that meal. lol this is what i think about with very little sleep.

amy frances said...

L,

I know, right??? You can't script this stuff!

C,

Yeah well. With blood pressure as low and water intake as high and a diet as good as mine, my favorite dietician need not lose any sleep over my sodium intake.

Ahem ... her aspartame intake, however ... cough cough

XOXOXOXO, by the way. And <3 <3 <3 too. Kiss my nephews for me.

amy frances said...

P. S. And anyway, it was brown sea salt. Way less sodium than the manufactured crap. So little faith in me you have, my dear.

Kendra said...

Love it.

I want to cook with you some day. I think that would be lovely.

amy frances said...

Dude. We're just coming down to see you. That's that. What do your Saturdays look like?