My house is a mess. It's been a mess for about a month now. I'm slooooooooowly putting it back together, but the chaos of it is seeping into me. I'm not myself when my house is a mess.A lot of people I love are hurting right now. There are divorce, terminal illness, abuse, dementia, poverty, and exhaustion plaguing people all around me. And this week, my body up and kaput on me, and here I lie, feverish and achy and wheezing, praying that I'm well enough to make the weekend trip I have planned, to visit one friend in prison and watch another friend in a play. How's that for whiplash?
I've taken the plunge, filled out the time-off-request form, made the announcement: late this fall, I'm headed home, to eastern Pennsylvania, to visit my family. And when I say "family," I mean my sister, my best friend from college, and a woman I like to pretend is my mom but isn't, not biologically anyway. When I say "family," I never mean the people to whom I'm related. For the record.
I can't wait. I miss these people so much, people who are like extensions of my own soul. People I think about every single day and haven't seen in years. I've never taken a trip like this before, a trip when I only see people who love me. People who didn't abandon me. People to whom I my heart opens freely, to whom I don't wrench it open for obligation or guilt. People who want me. There aren't too many of those, where I come from.
I feel well now. Even when I meet the darkness that swims in my veins, I can still see the light. And still in me it is, that darkness. But it tastes different now, smells different, feels silky on my palate. Where there used to be old, tepid, cheap coffee, there is now dark chocolate. Still dark, but a welcome, worthy darkness. And now to learn what I am, who I am, with the sweetness and the softness. To do that, I'm going back to the place where I was, to feel it around me, to swim in it, and to feel myself in it. I know I must have something to offer to others, to the world, some way that I can reach out, give back, extend. But, Lord knows, I have no idea what or how.And that's the
Achoo!
That's the
Achoo!
That's the news
Achoo!
Grrrrrr. That's the news from 'round here. I'm spent. I still promise pictures of my creations, when there's a bit more of me to go around. Off to
Achoo!
bed.
5 comments:
You don't know how many blog posts I've begun and then just X'ed out. Or never published. Glad you posted this one.
I like how you're seeing some of the darkness from your past as dark chocolate, since cocoa by itself, like coffee, is so very bitter. But when a touch of sugar is added to it, wow. It takes such a shape in the mouth as to affect the whole body.
Oh, bless you!
I'm so sorry about the ones close to you who are hurting. I have had similar seasons. This life, man. This life. Some days Frida Kahlo's last words resonate in me loudly: I hope the exit is joyful and hope never to return.
Bless you again!
Your upcoming trip sounds, sorry, trippy. I hope you have the energy to write about it later. You've certainly piqued my interest about the quick departure and so on. I hope it is healing for you, and that time has given you new eyes.
Gesundheit!
Health!
I'm glad you get to return to a sweeter home.
Many blessings on you, my friend. I think we are all still trying to figure out how to be who we are, with the darkness and the sweetness and the bitterness and the light. I am anyway. xo
You remind me of me. Not so much in our stories, as our ways of expressing them. Guess we must both be 4s or something.
8)
I don't know if you intended this as a lovely compliment, Tamie, but I'm going to take it that way. Thank you.
xo
Post a Comment