25 November 2010

Hard Times; Not End Times

So Kevin and I went to this thing a few weeks ago. It was this big thing. BIG. A-zillion-and-a-half-people big. And it was loud, and hilarious, and inspiring, and fun. Fun!!



And sane.



I'd love to write something profound about the experience, and I've been trying for weeks to come up with something, all the while depriving you all of our awesome pictures. So I'm just going to post pictures.















































Rockin' literary references abounded.











So did Waldos.



And gay terrorists.



And beautiful, beautiful people.












(I couldn't keep my eyes off this woman. There was just something about her.)



And peace, and love.





Here I am, looking oh-so-sane.



And here's my handsome husband, putting on his most rational of airs.



This is Shag, our excellent rallying companion, from whose shoulders I took most of these pictures. Shout out to Shag! Thanks man!



The Roots (from Philly, yo) performed this, and it was incredible. Sorry, YouTube didn't have a video of the performance.



And this makes me cry.



Oh, yeah. Cat Stevens was there and did perform "Peace Train." Sort of.



And I love this man. I love him.



It was good, friends. Crazy good.

7 comments:

Buffy said...

How super fun that you go to go!

tamie marie said...

That made me cry too--the jump rope. And I, too, love Jon Stewart. It's so amazing that you and Kevin went!

lori said...

Well, I've never jump-roped with a Muslim, but we did get to eat Thanksgiving dinner with our new neighbor friend, who is a Muslim from India and now works for the U.S. Border Patrol. (How's that for random?)

There are some great rallying signs in there.

Shag said...

Ok,

1. Kevin needs to thank his lucky stars each and every night for having you in his life.

2. Among your undoubtedly boundless talents are your amazing eye and your uncanny ability to convey a beautifully crafted narrative.

3. Thanks for the shout out ;-)

4. Quit making me tear up with your posts. No, not really, keep it up. I just don't like people knowing big bad Shag is a softie.

It was beyond awesome to have met and shared a life changing event with you both.

Now feel free to mark up my paper with red ink, preferably in the margins :-)

amy frances said...

Lori—you should ask him to jump rope with you! Or have tea. One of the two.

Aww, thanks Shag! No, I don't wanna. I'm off the clock.

melissa v. said...

wow, cool! wish I coulda been there. My favorites were "Hurry this up I've got SHIT to do" and the Gay Terrorist in a teddy bear costume
=D
Awesome. You've restored my faith in Americans (not that I didn't have faith in my friends, but En Masse) because it is easy to see in a rally like this one that there are masses of ppl who think and do differently from the classic conservative voice (which is so LOUD!).

Not in a critical, my country is better way, but in a my country is dwarfed by yours and I often feel very affected by your policies but powerless and voiceless to do anything about it type of way.
=)
Props.
The photos themselves are quite profound, I think you're alright not saying much!

amy frances said...

Mel—I don't know if you listened to Jon Stewart's whole message, but the gist of it was so encouraging: he pointed out that the media and politicians and conservative extremists make Americans look like the slime of the planet, when most of us are actually a pretty rad bunch. Then he asked the media and politicians and conservative extremists kindly to stop behaving like lesser-evolved primates and start behaving like rational, mature adults (my paraphrase). Which is why the media coverage of the event was so scant and, in some cases, patently false.

The people there were just so damn cool. And there were lots of Canadians! You're right, and I'd feel the same way if I were Canadian. I'm glad you know we're not all dumb.