10 June 2010

Saturday

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."
—Mary Oliver

4 comments:

lori said...

Beautiful pictures, Amy. I like how they flow from one to the next with a certain symmetry, though they are each uniquely themselves.

And nice accompanying poem. The part at the end that says, "to go easy" kind of jumps out and slaps me. But it's a nice, easy slap, naturally.

amy frances said...

Thanks! It was Jon's birthday celebration at an environmental center. The people are Tamie and Jon, Kevin and me, Tamie's mom and stepdad, and our friend Marti. It was a really beautiful day.

This was quick and dirty, but I may upload a few more photos of that day sometime soon.

I love this poem. It's just really really me, if you know what I mean.

Jonathan Erdman said...

You really did take some amazing pics that day!

Thanks so much.

amy frances said...

I was happy to be there. Thank you for inviting us!