28 May 2010

In This Moment

A cool, damp breeze is quietly but firmly sweeping the sleep from my mind, with the help of green tea, honey, and lemon.

I'm praying for inner peace today, certainty, faith, connection, pure love, and strength. I'm praying for the people in my heart, one by one.

I'm looking forward, so gratefully and humbled by the grace I enjoy, to a haircut.

I'm breathing and trying to be mindful.

I'm remembering where I was four years ago today, which truly was the happiest day of my life (to that point). I'm thinking of the green cymbdium orchids with which my dear husband surprised me at my office yesterday, for the occasion.

I'm sitting with this exhortation from Thomas Merton, with introspection, questioning myself and my motives.

True solitude is the home of the person, false solitude the refuge of the individualist. The person is constituted by a uniquely subsisting capacity to love—by a radical ability to care for all beings made by God and loved by him. Such a capacity is destroyed by the loss of perspective. Without a certain element of solitude there can be no compassion because when one is lost in the wheels of a social machine he is no longer aware of human needs as a matter of personal responsibility. One can escape from people by plunging into the midst of a crowd!
Go into the desert not to escape others but in order to find them in God.


I'm clinging to the knowledge that everything is going to be okay.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I think you know what that orchid does to my heart. In it God's invisible qualities -his eternal power and divine nature- can be clearly seen.
Breathe deeply, sweet girl