23 January 2010

The Scoop

So apparently I haven't made a blog entry in these two weeks. What the heck happened? I'm pretty sure yesterday I made that last post, and then I woke up this morning, and it's two weeks later. Sheesh!

My life has recently gotten quite a bit more complicated, what with adding an extra yoga class and a few other things to my regular weekly schedule. But I'm so happy. The new yoga class (the first of which was Wednesday) was a beautiful experience for me, one that I've been revisiting all week. I have a whole post written in my mind about it. Is it okay to blog about a yoga class if the teacher reads your blog (hi, Tamie!)?

I finally finished reading The Poisonwood Bible. Wow. Wow! Read it. Stop reading this, hop on your bike, ride to the local library or used book store, pick up a copy, and start reading it. In fact, walk to the library, so you can walk home with your nose in the book. You won't be sorry. And the world will be a better place. Because for every person who reads that book, the world gets a little better. It's that amazing. I'm not telling you anything about it, so the suspense will kill you until you absolutely have to read it. So there.

I'll tell ya. I've identified with a lot of literary characters, but none in my life so much as with Adah Price in that book. Granted, she is a metaphor for something much larger than one teenage girl or me, but I still think it's okay to identify with her. Toward the end of the book, every time she spoke up, I'd have to put it down and catch my breath, overwhelmed with some new self-revelation. I have a whole post written in my mind about that too.

Hmmm, what else is going on? Well, my wonderful husband is brewing me a pot of Yorkshire Gold with local honey and milk (which I hope will cure me of the effects of having been awake since 4:30 this morning). My cat is rubbing against my feet and gurgling with affection (or annoyance at my refusal to stop typing and feed him—affection and annoyance sound the same in his dialect of Meow). And I like beer now. (Thanks for the peer pressure, Jon and Tamie!) And it's going to reach the mid-40s today, which means that a long walk is in my future. There is a family of bald eagles living on Winona Lake, and I'm going to go look for them. Oo oo, and I'm getting my hair cut at noon. I looooove to have my hair touched, so haircuts are like candy for me. Well. Actually, they're like old tawny Port and toasted almonds. I don't like candy.


Update: I saw one! A big, beautiful male bald eagle, swooping through the air above my head. He alighted on a chunk of ice floating about 50 feet away from the shore and rested a spell. Then, he flew away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't be in suspence about a book I know nothing about. Your tastes are different than mine. Sure, they overlap, but just because you liked it doesn't mean I will. Maybe you think I should already know more about it, but the only other thing I know about this book is that Oprah liked it too. Maybe I'll go look it up on the internet to find out what it's all about.
---from Deborah K.

tamie marie said...

I'm so glad you liked Poisonwood. I LOVED it. Loved it. Amazing. I identified more with Leah. Isn't that interesting? :)

Glad you got to see the bald eagle. I must go find said bald eagle. I'm not sure i'll totally believe it til I see it with my own eyes!

And hey..........I want to read the bald post about the yoga class! :)

amy frances said...

Hehe, I figured as much. I thought quite a few times that Leah reminds me of you.

It's mostly Adah's journey that I identify with, and her personality to a lesser degree. I'm not that cynical. Her journey is very much a metaphor for my own, although our psychological responses to that journey are not identical.

Such deliciously complex, believable characters. Barbara Kingsolver is a genius.

I would not lie to you, my friend. The eagle has, indeed, landed on Winona Lake. Yes, that was a cliché. And I'll write the post as soon as I'm feeling creative. Right now, I'm just hungry.

Elvira said...

I adored the book. I finished it on the last day of December 2006 and I remember writing in my review that it was the best book I had read that year.
I feel like I'm going to read your blog entirely :)

amy frances said...

Hi again, Meyser. Help yourself!

I have Tamie (above^^) for that recommendation. She's one of about three people on earth whose books recommendations I take 100% seriously. It was definitely one of the best books I've ever read. I find that I can read twenty works of nonfiction and not have my world rocked nearly to the extent that one story can achieve. Isn't that funny?

amy frances said...

I mean, Tamie to thank for that recommendation. Ugh. Mid-afternoon foggy brain. A pox upon it!