"[People like me] will find themselves only by grounding themselves firmly in the realities of the here and now, thus becoming less prey to their shifting moods. They can get beyond self-consiousness by taking the 'leap of faith' that they will actualize themselves if they involve themselves with the real world. Rather than indulge in useless dreams, they must start taking an active, realistic interest in their own lives—as paradoxical and strange as that may seem. However, [people like me] know what it means: they must stop imagining life and start living it."
And so.
It's a tiny baby step of a start. But I suppose it's something. And it was fun! Thanks for your prayers.
5 comments:
It's really attractive, Amy. I'm glad you sent your order and took the first step.
Bev
Me too. Thanks!
It's gorgeous. I love the simplicity, and the roughness. This is exactly the kind of jewelry and aesthetic I'm really drawn to. NOt that it matters what *I'm* drawn to, of course! What matters is that you're following your heart and creating! Good work. Well done! What's next?
Thanks, Tamie. An austere and unpolished aesthetic speaks to me (and from me) too, quite profoundly. What has reached its visual conclusion, what is pristine and finished, is inert and industrial, has no breath or blood it it, no life. A work of art that has no visible flaws is mere product. Its relationship to its creator, displayed in brush strokes and file marks and finger prints and chisel nicks, which makes it truly unique and valuable and distinguishes it from junk made by exploited people and sold to yuppies at Pier 1, has been renounced. Product is art that has been murdered. This is only my opinion, of course. The classical Greeks and Italian masters would beg to differ. But then, who asked the dead white guys, anyway?
(Sorry about the earful. I'm very passionate about aesthetics and I think a lot about the deep meaning in how things look.)
I won't know what's next until I'm done with it, I'm afraid. I've never been very good at planning these things out. They just happen. It drove my professors nuts.
Hmmm.
(That's the sound of me wondering how what I've learned about your tastes in the above comment will affect the outcome of your eventual salt vessels and pepper mill.)
Post a Comment